Thursday, June 21, 2012

When This Thing Aligns With Mars All Hell Is Gonna Break Loose

The homie MADD OD dropped another free comp today (grab it RIGHT HERE)...it's dedicated to the god of the sky and it's eleven tracks of pure latin moombah glory.  This dude has been wrecking things around the world, most recently with a little jaunt down to South America, but now he's back to work chopping up tracks at 108bpm.  The Jupiter EP is pure moombahton which shouldn't surprise those who are familiar with the DC native's work in the past.  He was kind enough to answer a few questions for us today so check out what he has to say about himself and his latest release.
MTH - Origin story!  Name, current location, when did you get started DJ'ing?
MOD - My real name is Oscar Mendieta, known by DJ MADD OD... although i had carried the name DJ LEGACY up untill 2 years ago (but that's a whole other chapter of my life).  I was born in a small town in Nicaragua and i came to the states when i was 4.  I currently live in Washington DC.  I started dj'ing at the age of 14 at a recreation center in Arlington VA with the help of my child hood mentor Edson Bravo.  At the age of 15 I was already djing in clubs all over the DMV (dc, Maryland, & Virginia) by the time I was 18 I had already dj'ed every major club in the DMV. I dj'ed my own Prom and homecoming... lol weird huh? As I said earlier I went by the name DJ LEGACY, so in my home town the name is like a legend... lol ask around. Anyone doing anything big in the Latin community I had something to do with it, one way or another.  By the time  I was 21, I had already dj'ed for big Latin & hip hop acts such as Daddy Yankee, Fuego, Plan B, Big Boy, Nicky Jam, Cory Gunz, Gordo Brega and many more.  I got into production when I was about 19 when I was living on my own. I also had my own Show on XM radio before the merger for about 2 years back in 2005.  I currently DJ for Top Latin Billboard Artist "Fuego".  With the help of Fuego I have been able to spread the Moombahton sound all over Latin America and Europe. I even managed to get him and Sensato (Pitbull's new artist) on a moombahton track Called "Plata o Plomo" produced by Munchi & Alvaro.  My biggest moombah plug was a concert I did in Guatemala for over 12,000 in attendance.
Well lately its been like that... lol in Europe 2!  I give thanks to God for all the opportunities he has given me and I pray that he continues to bless me!!!  As far as the next tour, we are getting ready to head back to Spain to tour with Juan Magan.  Then back to South America to end summer off!

MUCH MORE AFTER THE JUMP Y'ALL


MTH - So how did you come into the moombahton scene?  I know you are a DC resident, were you privy to some of the early Moombahton Monday parties?
MOD - Ok so how this happened was kinda funny, I was on soundcloud looking for reggaeton remixes and I stumbled upon Munchi's "Sandungeo", not knowing anything about moombahton I downloaded a promo EP he had. I then did my research and found out about Dave Nada. I added him on FB and Twitter instantly and hit him to tell him he was a pure genius!  At this time he was like in his 2nd week of Moombahton Mondays. I got in my car and headed to see what else was being played. It was music I had never heard before... I met dave and never looked back... 
I produced my 1st moombah track and sent it to Dave. He actually played it the next week... funny thing is that i got the footage of him playing my track...You can see the movement early in its day


MTH - There's obviously a HUGE Latin influence on your sound, with the divergence of the current scene do you feel it's important to stick with the original roots of the sound?
MOD - The influence is big because of course I'm Latino, but the reason I love Moombahton is b/c you can incorporate anything into it.  I like how producers are mixing all sorts of genre's into one main outlet which we call Moombahton.

MTH - The Power EP was a massive release last year, any interesting stories about putting that together?
MOD - The Power Series is a big thing for me.  I saw all these act dropping projects and I didn't wanna stay behind, Power 1 has, to this day, a stunning 201,543 downloads...Power Dos that I dropped this year is at 69,191.  [T]his year I will end the series with Power Tres.  I had a lot of fun putting them together!  I try to out do myself every year!


MTH - As a working DJ I'm sure you have to switch between styles in your sets in order to please all kinds of crowds.  What's your favorite stuff to spin??
MOD - My fav has to be between Moombahton, hip-hop and Electro/house.  I don't ever have a problem though since I was young I was exposed to a lot of genres so it comes naturally.  I love being able to switch genres... if you were to see how organized my crates are you would probably melt if you were a dj.  My hard drive is about 2tb and is almost full but i have almost every type of genre you can think of, organized by bpm...the only challenge is keeping up with every genre. Thank god I have a good DJ team that helps me out in places I'm not to savvy.

MTH - You just got back from playing in South America.  How was the trip?  Was there a certain show/spot that was especially amazing?
MOD - I was in South America in January, i then went on tour to Europe up until last week.  I visited several countries like, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, France, and Spain.  My Favorite I would have to say was Italy.  I dj'ed at a club called Set Club in Milan.  The crowd was so engaged into the moombathon that I was playing.  They showed me a lot of love and the most respect.  I feel like they were the most in tune with what I was presenting them.  All the other countries were great too!

MTH - Is there one act you'd really want to share a stage with if you had your choice?
MOD - Yes, Actually I have never dj'ed with Dave Nada or Munchi so I think that would be a crazy experience.  Other than that Kanye West & Skrillex. (ima make this happen just watch!)


MTH - You just dropped the Jupiter EP...pure moombahton heaters.  How long have you been cooking this one up?
MOD - This is funny cuz I had 5 of the tracks already out.  The other 6 were actually done in the last 48 hours of the release.  I was so inspired in Europe that I came back and demolished my Studio!  I literally maxed out my PC's Potential at one point. 

MTH - Sticking on the Jupiter release, what can folks expect when they put this sucker on??
MOD - I tried to cater to everyone in this one, some melo stuff and some more hardcore stuff, depending on the listener.  I wanted to make everyone happy meanwhile sticking to hard bass filled tracks and crazy melodies for the ear.


MTH - My favorite track of yours all time is "Duro Suena El Bass" off last year's Spring Of Moombahton: Darkside release.  Any story behind that one?  How did you hook up with Lightning Eyez for the release?
MOD - Wow... you just took me back to Moombahton Massive in DC where all the moombahton djs were united in one room!  I believe it was MM7.  I met Lightning Eyez there and kicked it off well.  I made the track for him and the rest is history.  We still keep in touch and had discussed some future projects so look out for that...

MTH - You wanna say what's up to anyone?? 
MOD - Shout out to everyone who has shown me love and keep supporting my Music.  Shout out to Dave Nada for always hitting me up with advice and love on the tracks.  EDBDJS WORLDWIDE!!!  Big shout out to the moombahton fans worldwide.  MTH you guys always show me love!! Thank you guys!

PS - POWER TRES DROPS 1-1-13 -  IN THE MEAN TIME I MIGHT DROP SOME STUFF TO PLAY WITH LOL


Wanna give a big, gigantic thank you to DJ Madd OD and I encourage you to get in contact with him in all of your favorite social media locales:

Facebook
twitter
soundcloud
tumblr


No comments:

Post a Comment